Author Topic: Sunny Garcia Pro surfer KX Guru Racing KX500 build  (Read 27917 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Sunny Garcia Pro surfer KX Guru Racing KX500 build
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
That is a bunch of interesting angles on the tank. Are you going to put water (or fuel) in it and check volume? Not sure I would go through the effort unless it was larger than stock.

No, I won't put anything in it except for some race gas  :-D
But I'll know how much approx that it will hold.

Jason hand lapped all mounting surfaces on the cases and performed all of KX Guru Racing case mods to improve lubrication...  8-)
Just need a trip through the vapor blaster and oven and they will be ready for assembly..

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 02:21:44 AM »
Hit the Bormi web site and after mining their site found the gas tank gallery.
http://www.bormiparts.com/gallery-3.html
They make a lot of nice parts! The KX and CR tanks don't really look bigger to me but they sure are pretty.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 03:12:02 AM »
I'm not sure I could do an aluminum tank.  That first dent would be hard to take.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 03:29:41 AM »
Dents/punctures aren't really a big deal with aluminum/metal tanks...a skilled metal worker can smooth dents out like new. There's a guy out on Cape Cod that specializes in metal motorcycle tank repair, his work is flawless...you think you're just being handed a brand new tank.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 04:29:13 AM »
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/download/file.php?id=7138

One thing I noticed about this picture is the bend at the front top. It looks like introduced stress and a good place for a crack to form at the weld. I hope that is not the case.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
One case has been pre-cleaned...  :-o

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:54 PM »
More good stuff from Hammerhead  8-)

Offline reklessj

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Someone needs to talk him into doin the Rip to Cabo on that thing next year!!!!
Gotta love Sunny, just got done watching Momentum Generation. Some funny s**t about Rob and Kelly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:16:29 PM by reklessj »
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 03:31:36 AM »
Coming soon from Racer X!!!!They get to unveil it and we were given the ok to post a teaser of the Sunny Garcia KX500 build. It was incredible!! Thanks for all the support.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2019, 03:38:28 AM »
By Oscar Cota:

So our Sunny Garcia kx500 project has come to an successful end! Unfortunately for now I can't post too many photos of the bike as Racer X has first dibs on showing off the final product! Look for the video and magazine to come out in the next couple of months. Sunny and the entire magazine staff, including former Supercross pro racer and test rider David Pingree, we're absolutely stunned and Beyond impressed with our latest creation! David Pingree made multiple comments each time he came off the track such as " there is absolutely zero vibration, this thing corners and holds a line like you couldn't believe, this thing is totally on par with new bikes, this is the most in-depth build we have ever had!" I don't want to give away too many more quotes, you will just have to wait for the magazine to come out LOL! This build was definitely a nerve-wracking experience. I thought the Sean Collier build was stressful, but this one was definitely one for the books! I cannot stress just how much I appreciated and how invaluable the assistance and support from Alex Ward was. There were many small details and some major setbacks towards the end of this build that Alex pulled a miracle off for us. KX Guru Racing would not be what it is and would be lost without Alex that is for sure! In the end, the entire magazine staff was thrilled and told us the bike completely exceeded any expectation they had for this build! Sunny definitely has the most unique and best kx500 on this planet! Click on each picture to read the caption.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2019, 03:51:40 AM »
I’m excited to see the final product. Will it be in the magazine only, or online?
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »
I’m excited to see the final product. Will it be in the magazine only, or online?

I have no idea... I'm just the flunky hanging onto Oscar's shirt tails  :-D
Likely both..
After the magazine comes out I'll post up some pics if I'm allowed to.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2019, 05:16:00 AM »
Comments from Oscar Cota:

Although the tank we used was impressive by itself, we complimented it with some stainless fasteners and these trick billet tank brackets supplied by our good friend Jonathon Bell.

These pieces will never be seen however that is not a reason to run the old stuff. Everything that could be replaced with with brand new parts was replaced.

There was nothing wrong with the OEM 2001 kicker (on the right) on Sunny's bike..... but we felt that the newer style 2003-2004 beefier OEM Kickstarter was a requirement! In case you didn't know, you can no longer purchase the older style kicker, if you order an OEM kicker you will get the new style.

This item will receive much abuse on the bottom of the bike however it was still no reason to leave it alone. Vapor blasted, polished, cerakoted clear and installed new bearings!

Cerakote was used on many items for this build. However we were cautious do not overdo it. A build can go from exotic to tacky very fast if you're not careful.

Offline motorman455

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2019, 05:55:01 AM »
Nice job with the cerakote! That stuff is a tricky process to get just right. I did several pieces on my K5 over the winter. It looks good when new but I'm interested to see how well it holds up to off-roading.  Unfortunately I don't think it stands up to well to contact...

Offline alward25

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2019, 01:41:09 PM »
Nice job with the cerakote! That stuff is a tricky process to get just right. I did several pieces on my K5 over the winter. It looks good when new but I'm interested to see how well it holds up to off-roading.  Unfortunately I don't think it stands up to well to contact...

I have done a lot of Cerakote.  Air Dry and oven dry.  The Oven cure is more durable, it also says it is when you look at the rating of each series on the site.  Nothing is bullet proof.  I would much rather Cerakote a lot of this stuff than powder coat for many reasons.  The Cerakote have done on my bikes and bike I see regularly I can say that it all holds up very well.
"Let there be light"